Aug 20, 2004

"To Live and Die in LA..."

Tonight, my cousin told me that on Tuesday, some of the local thugs that patronize the crackhouse across the alley from my home in LA had a shoot out. A stray bullet pierced our patio screen, went through my mom's bedroom door and shattered her jewelry box and a bottle of purfume.

Only my cousin was home and thankfully she was away from the patio area and my mom's room. My cousin believes this shooting had to do with a police raid that took place a few weeks earlier, where police arrested several people and confiscated 2 shotguns, drugs (I'm sure) and who knows what else.

This occurrence proves exactly why we cannot be concerned only about what happens in our own homes. As a community we have to rally against people and elements that we know and the police know are breeding grounds for drugs, gang activity and violence. This little backhouse has always been associated with drug trafficking since we moved into the neighborhood in 1995.

This isn't the first shooting to occur on our block. Its not even the first time a stray bullet made its way into a resident's home. During the last shooting, a stray bullet entered the home of our neighbor on the opposite corner. Luckily, no one was hurt then either. I am concerned...how many more times will this happen before they kill my family or my neighbors, especially since the community is already dead!

-M

No comments: