Nov 13, 2004

Hip Hop You're the Love of My Life....

So the concert last night really got me to realize just how much I love music, in particular, how much I love Hip Hop!! I sat here for a while thinking about growing up in Roseland (far south-east neighborhood on the southside of Chicago) and how I use to sit on my front porch with my friends and listen to the radio. We use to play our tapes (or our older siblings' tapes) and take turns rapping along to the beat. It was the early 1980s when I first discovered that I loved this music. Like Sid Shaw asked the question in Brown Sugar, "When did you first fall in love with hip hop?"...for me, it was when I heard Roxanne's Revenge by Roxanne Shante. There was something about her being a young girl and being able to rap that was so fascinating, along with the fact that Roxanne's Revenge was the tightest response to U.T.F.O.'s Roxanne, Roxanne. Though I had yet to understand the significance of hip hop, I knew I would always love it! With that said, i thought I'd share with yall my top twenty hip hop albums (in no particular order)!

So sit back and reminisce...


BlackStar - Mos Def & Talib Kweli



Like Water for Chocolate - Common



Eyes On This - Mc Lyte



Black on Both Sides - Mos Def



Illmatic - Nas



SouthernPlayalisticCadillacMuzik - Outkast



It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back - Public Enemy



Things Fall Apart - The Roots



Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest



The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill



The Score - The Fugees



Paid In Full - Eric B. & Rakim



Straight Outta Compton - NWA



Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)- Wu-Tang



Quality - Talib Kweli



The Great Adventures of Slick Rick - Slick Rick



Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill



All Eyez on Me - Tupac



The Feet High and Rising - De La Soul



Criminal Minded - KRS One

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The line-up is tight as fuck. All the hits, some of the all time greats. You sit back, you think about hearing those albums the first time... How they can still move you to this day... And you just gotta love hip-hop.

PS - I'm so glad that you had a good time at the concert yesterday. Sounds like it was wonderful.

nahmix said...

I know, its so when hip hop was just that...hip hop. It amazes me how much the music makes me so nostalgic and kinda long for the days when life seemed so much simpler. Deep down I know its just cause I was kid then, but I miss that life so much. This getting older stuff...ain't no joke and when you have nothing but the constant proliferation of garbage clogging the air waves to contend with, you have no choice but to revert to somewhere else.

summer of sam said...

fuckin' mc lyte...helllllsss yeah.

Jdid said...

whoa I thought I was the only one who loved All eyes on this. Cappacino was my favorite tune. That album was sweet.

I'm feeling that line up.

nahmix said...

Oh yeah, can never forget the Lyte. I played that tape out! I also had a Lyte as Rock. Cappucino was my jam, as was Cha Cha Cha and Paper Thin!

chrome said...

someone's been peeping my record collection lol. got into hiphop in the days of my youth in nigeria. "paid in full" attacked my ear drums and the whole universe changed. still got the tape somewhere.