Jan 14, 2005

Don't Call It A Comeback...


Willie D. Talks Geto Boys Reunion
By David Lopez
Date: 1/13/2005

According to Geto Boys founding member Willie D., the group has changed the name of their reunion album from War and Peace to The Foundation.

The trio helped put Houston, Texas on the Hip-Hop map, with legendary albums such as We Can’t Be Stopped and The Resurrection, along with classic releases from each member of the group as solo artists.

“Fans were really wanting on a new album from us so I took the initiative to get at everybody one by one,” Willie D. told AllHipHop.com“I had to facilitate the whole thing because we hadn’t all been on the same page.”

The Geto Boys' album We Can't Be Stopped launched the group into the mainstream, when they struck platinum in early 1992 -- thanks to the hit "Mind Playing Tricks on Me."

“I had not been in touch with Brad (Scarface) for a minute and we both had been talking about doing a Geto Boys album. He told me that he was with it,” Willie D continued.

“Then I reached out to Bushwick and convinced him to do it. Then I called Lil J (James Prince) and asked him if he was with it. He said 'yeah.' Once everybody was with it, we just got in the studio and knocked it out.”

The Foundation is slated for a January 25th release.

Now see, I don't know what to make of this or how to feel about it! Normally, I'm on that potential and growth tip hard, but I don't know about GB. I've always thought Scarface was the lyrical glue that held their rhymes together, but I just don't know if they still got it. I'll reserve judgement until I hear the album!

-M

2 comments:

summer of sam said...

i have a special place in my heart for willie d's solo stuff. mostly that song, "bald-headed hoes"

Jdid said...

never really got with the ghetto boys stuff but I do give them their props. Scarface's solo stuff has been nice though, I really feel that.