Jul 4, 2005

Old School Perfection


So, a few weeks ago fecundmellow blogged about songs she never gets sick of hearing. Somewhat similiarly, I've been working on a list of old school songs that I think are absolutely perfect. By perfect, I mean, lyrics, music, melody and the way the artist sings the song.

A perfect song gets your attention from the very beginning and grabs hold of your emotions immediately. The perfect song has the power to make you laugh, make you smile, make you cry, and always compels you to sing as loudly as possible (or maybe thats just me)! You may not be in love or having a good day, but the music would have you believing that you just found that one and that everything is alright with life! There use to be a time where the music told real stories, but now, music just ain't what it used to be.

So, in no particular order, here's my list...

1. Inside My Love – Minnie Ripperton
Two people, just meeting, barely touching each other
Two spirits, greeting, tryna carry further
You are one, and I am another
We should be, one inside each other


2. Lovely Day – Bill Withers
When I wake up in the morning love
and the sun light hurts my eyes
And something without warning love bears heavy on my mind.
Then I look at you and the world's alright with me
Just one look at you and I know it's gonna be -
A lovely day - lovely day


3. Zoom – The Commodores
Whoa, I like to greet the sun each mornin'
And walk amongst the stars at night
I'd like to know the taste of honey in my life
In my life


4. You are My Starship – Norman Connors
You are my light, I have to go on
Have me anyway you want to
Just take care and love me
Til my tension's gone

Cause you are my starship
Come take me up tonight
And don't be late


5. Voyage to Atlantis – The Isley Brothers
Can I go on my way without you
Whoa...how can I know
If I go on my way without you
Whoa...where would I go

Set sail with me
Misty lady, set my spirit free
New love to find
And though I leave another behind

I'll always (Come back to you)


6. Yes I'm Ready - Barbara Mason
I don't even know how to love you
Just the way you want me to
But I'm ready [ready] to learn (to learn)
Yes, I'm ready [ready] to learn (to learn)
To fall in love, to fall in love, to fall in love with you


7. Natural Woman – Aretha Franklin
Looking out on the morning rain
I used to feel so uninspired
And when I knew I had to face another day
Lord, it made me feel so tired
Before the day I met you, life was so unkind
But your love was the key to my peace of mind

Cause you make me feel, you make me feel, you make me feel like
A natural woman


8. Neither One of Us - Gladys Knight
It's sad to think we're not gonna make it
And it's gotten to the point
Where we just can't fake it
For some ungodly reason
We just won't let it be

I guess neither one of us
Neither one of us wants to be the first to say good-bye


9. Daydreaming – Aretha Franklin
Daydreamin' and I'm thinkin' of you
Daydreamin' and I'm thinkin' of you
Daydreamin' and I'm thinkin' of you
Daydreamin' and I'm thinkin' of you
Look at my love blowing away
He's the kind of guy that would say
"Hey, baby let's get away
Let's go some place, huh"
Well I don't care
He's the kind of guy that you give your everything
You trust your heart, share all of your love
Till death do you part


10. You’re All I Need to Get By– Tammy Terrell & Marvin Gaye
You're all I need to get by.
Like the sweet morning dew, I took one look at you,
And it was plain to see,
you were my destiny. With my arms open wide,
I threw away my pride
I'll sacrifice for you
Dedicate my life for you

I will go where you lead
Always there in time of need
And when I lose my will
You'll be there to push me up the hill
There's no, no looking back for us
We got love sure 'nough, that's enough
You're all, You're All I need to get by.


11. Feel Like Making Love – Roberta Flack
Strollin’ in the park, watching winter turn to spring
Walkin’ in the dark, seein’ lovers do their thing, mmm

That’s the time I feel like making love to you.
That’s the time I feel like making dreams come true.

In a restaurant, holdin’ hands by candlelight.
When you’re touchin’ me, wanting you with all my might.


12. Sir Duke – Stevie Wonder
Music is a world within itself
With a language we all understand
With an equal opportunity
For all to sing, dance and clap their hands
But just because a record has a groove
Don’t make it in the groove
But you can tell right away at letter a
When the people start to move

They can feel it all over
They can feel it all over people


13. Strawberry Letter 23 - Shuggie Otis/Brothers Johnson
Hello, my love
I heard a kiss from you
Red magic satin playing near, too
All through the morning rain I gaze
The sun doesn't shine
Rainbows and waterfalls runnin' through my mind

In the garden, I see
West purple shower bells and tea
Orange birds and river cousins
Dressed in green


14. Sara Smile – Hall & Oates
Baby hair with a woman's eyes
I can feel you're watching in the night
All alone with me and we're waiting for the sunlight

When I feel cold, you warm me
And when I feel I can't go on, you come and hold me

It's you... And me forever
Sara Smile
Won't you smile a while for me
Sara


15. Yearning for your Love - The Gap Band
The time has come for us to stop messin’ around
‘Cause don’t you know that I like havin’ you around
In my life
Oh, baby

So many times I want to hold you, oh, so near
I want to say I love you softly in your ear

Oh, baby
Don’t keep running

My heart is yearning for your love
‘Cause my heart is yearning for your love

8 comments:

summer of sam said...

great list...finally.

i got some joints to add, but i don't feel like it. surely someone else will.

sm.

Abeni said...

Best thing that ever happened to me..Gladys Knight

lilmzbabygrl said...

That list gave me chills... I'm sitting here at my desk singing these songs as loud as I can... in my head of course...

Might I add...

Midnight Train To Georgia-- Gladys and Pips

When You Needed Roses and Knock Knock-- The Dazz Band

Better Days-- Dianne Reeves

I know there's more... give me a minute, I'll be back...

Anonymous said...

I love me some "Voyage To Atlantis." A certain ex-boyfriend of mine used to sing that shit to me on the phone, on some late night silliness.

fuss said...

"Yes I'm Ready" - I think I'll download that today. Thanks for reminding me of that one.

Anonymous said...

help people! the song "inside my love" by minnir riperton there is a faster version of it and i really dont know who sings it because i dont think its her. so if you know please tell me!

Anonymous said...

*minnie

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome list- I'm def. adding them all to my playlist! =)