Mar 6, 2006

Fashion 101: The Oscars 2006

This year's Oscar fashion was quite a sight. I found myself quite pleased with a number selections and disappointed with a few of the usual offenders.


Best Dressed



Representing for the big girls like noone else can...Queen Latifah. She looks absolutely perfect from head to toe! My pick for best dressed of the night! And did I mention, she is holding it down for the big girls?!?!



Following closely behind the Queen: Karolina Kurkova. Strangely simple, yet elegant.



I don't know who this Terry Pheto is, but this unusual ensemble grabbed my attention. It's different and not quite what I'd expect to see at the Oscar's yet she pulled it off elegantly.



Uma Thurman is stunning in this gown. I love everything about, color included. And you know I don't like this color on white women, but the design is incredible!



Teraji Henson picked a winner. The dress is young and hip. The color is definitely bold and sassy, yet the style is classic.


Amost there, yet not quite



Bahar Soomekh's dress is beautiful, the look would have been perfect with a curly upsweep!



Another almost perfect looked, ruined by dead hair and a sagging wasteband. Had Jennifer Jason Leigh tightened the the bow around her waste and pulled her hair into a tight bun, she'd be able to join the ranks of the my top picks!



Aside from the fact that I don't understand why JLO and Marc were at the Oscars, I don't why this particular dress is that particular color. I love the dress and I love the color, both on her. However, that dress should have been either been another color or the dress design different to accoodate that color.



Beautiful dress with the right hairstyle, it's just unfortunate that Hillary Swank looks like a pencil in it.



Samantha Harris falls in the almost perfect category too. Great dress, just far too lingerie in white. Would have been perfect in a simple black.



Maggie Gyllenhaal should have been name Moon River in this number. I like it, just don't think it's right for her. The material of the dress looks almost linen drapery on her!


Just plain wrong



Biggest disappointment of the night: Charlize Theron. I'm not sure if she's on the red carpet heading to an awards cermony or the runway to a spaceship getting ready for take. This look is a little too futurama for me.



Not only do I just not like this dress, I don't know what Felicity Huffman was thinking when she put it on. I mean, she's like 60 years old!



Great color, but Jada Pinkett Smith looks as square as Sponge Bob in this gown.



Am I the only one who thinks that Jennifer Anniston has worn her plain jane look out? I mean simple hair, simple dress, safe color. I'm so unimpressed!



Jennifer Garner: Hated it!!!



Jessica Alba should learn from this mistake!



Naomi Watts must have hit her head and lost consciousness. When she came to, she thought she was Hall Berry circa 2004/2005.



There was nothing Shawn Robinson could do to fix this. It's just wasn't a good choice.



Not only is this dress doing too much, but Michelle Williams looks like a tangerine cream-sicle.



I want so much to like this Kiera Knightley dress, but I think it's far too reminiscent of the green gown Marcia Cross wore last year!

6 comments:

Abeni said...

You hated the ones I loved.Come on girl we got to be on the same wavelength.lol.I was surprised at Felicity Huffman's choice-very daring

summer of sam said...

taraji henson was high.

that's all i gotta say.

Jdid said...

most of them look pretty good to me, wasnt feeling jada at all though and there was one i saw in the news where the person was superpale and the dress was almost their color

Anonymous said...

lol@ the creamscicle! i don't watch t.v. so i missed all this stuff but i agree latifah is holding it down with class.

hope all is well on your end.

fun

Anonymous said...

I loved Latifah, Taraji, and Uma. But I have to say, I loved J. Ho, Michelle Williams, and Alba, too. I hated Felicity Horseface, Charlize Herron (cause that's what she looks like she's on, yo), Jada, and Hilary Swank, too. Definitely agree that the hair overall was too sloppy, and that the bodies were too bony. Wondered where Halle was - and why Marc Anthony and J. Ho were at the ceremony. Still, I enjoyed the Oscars this year, the ceremony and the fashions. Like 3-6 say - it's hard out here for a pimp. And apparently, it's pretty hard for emaciated movie stars, too, when it comes to picking that right dress. I don't know... Maybe their judgment would be less cloudy if they ate.

The Humanity Critic said...

Queen latifah definitely looked put together, stellar.