Apr 20, 2006

Don't Believe the Hype....(Part 2 of 4)


No matter how hard I try, I seem to invite four types of people into my world. These people are annoying by nature. They are everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. Somehow, I am guaranteed to have an encounter with one or all of them daily. I already told you about The Perpetual Outdoer,(Part 1), but how many of you have know or have encountered, The Ex Model?

2. The Ex Model
The Ex Model is supposedly just that, a former model. This ex model's former career was not lucrative and often can not be verified; yet she will, at the drop of a hat, profess: I used to model. The ex model is most often a young woman, who isn't lacking in looks or style, but is a far cry from a feature in Elle or a runway in Milan. If anyone so much as compliments her smile or outfit, the ex model will proudly confess that she used to model.

The issue I have with the ex model has nothing to do with the profession per se, but more to do with the definition of "model", especially when the status "used to" is applied. I mean...I get that Beverly Johnson, Veronica Webb, Janice Dickinson and Cindy Crawford use to model; but what does that mean for the average woman making such a claim?

My understanding of modeling was shaped early on. In elementary school, a former model turned motivational speaker made a presentation to my 7th grade class about the importance of self-esteem among young women. During the Q&A session, students asked her about her modeling career. She explained that there were several types of models, print/screen models (those who appear full body or lone parts only in magazines, ads, commercials), runway models (those who grace runways for designers, but never in print) and supermodels (those highly sought after who appear in print, on screen, on runways and are either exclusive to one or several high-end designers). Our presenter was a runway model during the Bill Blass and Gloria Vanderbilt fame. From that point on, I understood modeling in those terms.

In no way am I claiming to know everything there is to know about modeling, but I am wondering: what constitutes modeling when the "work" was neither substantial nor lucrative? Does someone who has allegedly participated in a few local fashion shows at best, have a legitimate claim to the profession?

The ex model is problematic because not only is she lying, but she is using this alleged ex model status to promote herself above her peers. She is looking for preferential treatment based on a lie.

Three ways to tell if the ex model is lying:

1. If the ex model never signed with a reputable agency with a portfolio documenting her claim, she's lying!

2. If the ex model can't name drop designers, commercials, events, stylists, etc naturally, she's lying.

3. If the ex model went from modeling to working security or flipping burgers, she's really lying, and not just to you, but to herself as well!

Stay tuned for part 3 of 4!

7 comments:

Jdid said...

its just a way to justify and confer themselves with some sort of status. its just likefolk who always paraphrase everything they say with some comment on their profession like well i'm a lawyer and blah blah blah even when you are talking about something as non-legal as whether kobe is better than jordan

people think they can gain respect for themselves by giving themselves what they preceive as status above their peers

Abeni said...

Its all about some status symbol.Maybe they see it as confirming their attractiveness.Either way who cares if they modelled?

chrome said...

I know this type. prone to referring to themselves in the third person.

Anonymous said...

lol. i don't know this type but i'm loving this series so far. and man i gotta watch out that i don't become anyone on any of your lists!
great series idea.

Unknown said...

i still really really really really love your blog always poignant thought provoking and amusing. I love it...
Peace
Mati!!

princessdominique said...

I'm plagued by some annoying people too or have been.

Anonymous said...

The ex-model is a distant cousin of the Outdoer, I think, cause the hoe is always trying to tell you something she learned or experienced back when she was a model. I know what I'm saying, yo. I don't know an ex-model, but I just had to put a close friend whose an ex-actress (i.e. the hoe was in ONE commercial for the Boys & Girls Club of America) on a time-out. She was wearing my nerves out.