Apr 6, 2007

Lunchtime Observations


Just the other day, while contemplating my lunch selection between the available salads and pastas in my office building’s cafeteria, I noticed something peculiar. It was something that I’d noticed before, but never gave much thought, until that day. As I decided on the tuna wrap, I watched an employee and her teenaged son (also an employee), sharing a lunch. They were eating, laughing playfully and genuinely enjoying each other’s company. I thought to myself: how cute, they’re sharing a meal (and essentially a bit of quality time right on the job). There aren’t many parents and teenagers who spend quality time together, nonetheless in the workplace. It was quite touching and tender, at least at first.

As I waited for my tuna wrap, I couldn’t help but let my eyes peruse the contents of their lunch. What I found was shocking, but not uncommon. They were sharing a fried fish dinner with the works (french fries, coleslaw, white bread and condiments) from J&J Fish, a local fast food establishment. Suddenly, what I previously deemed a touching moment, seemed displaced, yet felt all too familiar. You see, it was just noon, as in the middle of the day. I couldn’t understand why they were eating such a massive amount of garbage or as summer m. would say eating a heart attack for lunch. I stood for a moment, in an awkward daze, observing them gourge heaps of saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol into their mouths followed by big gulps of an unidenitifed carbonated sugar beveverage (otherwise known as pop). Did I mention that it was just noon, the lunch hour, not even a holiday?

What I found most jarring about watching mother and son bond over such a meal was how reminiscent it was of the many black folks I've worked with over the years, who also indulged such meals on the lunch hour. I used to work with a woman who once told me that when it's lunch time she's ready to eat. I'd laugh everytime she'd say it because she was such a petite older woman. Her size was definitely not reflective of her appetite. She'd go to lunch and sit down to a hearty plate of soul food with all of the trimmings at least twice a week. Even as I think about my current coworkers, Harolds, Popeyes, KFC, Nathan's, Cholie's, Shark's and J&J are just a few of the regular favorites. On any given day, you can follow the smell through the corridors right to the desk of a black person licking their fingers in great satisfaction with their fried, deep fried, supersized portions of sheer death.

It's a troubling trend, especially when you consider the American Heart Association statistics regarding African American health:

  • 66% of black men 20 years and over are overweight (2001-2004)
  • 79% of black women 20 years and over are overweight(2001-2004)
  • 2004 death rates from Cardio Vascular Disease were 448.9 for black males and 239.3 and for black females 331.6. (Death rates are per 100,000 population.
  • 46.6% of non-Hispanic black females have high blood pressure, compared with 42.6% of males (Americans age 20 or older).
  • 42.1% of non-Hispanic black females have total blood cholesterol levels of200mg/dL or higher, compared with 44.8% of males (Americans age 20 or older)
  • 13.2% of non-Hispanic black females have physician-diagnosed diabetes, compared with 10.7% of males (Americans age 20 or older).

The statistics are startling, yet real. Black people are outrunning the masses in the race to an early death. While for once, I'm not trying to pass judgment in this blog, I am, however, deeply concerned about our collective health.

I know as well as the next person how integral food is to our culture. Food is the very apparatus by which we celebrate our good times, cope with our bad times, problem solve and extend ourselves to each other. Where would our families be if it weren't for our ancestors turning the average garden variety of animal scraps into delicacies. I come from an old world Caribbean family, half Belizean, half West Indian. Growing up in my household, we didn't just think that pork was the other white meat, we thought it was the only meat. We couldn't have a pot of stew beans without the pig tail, vegetables without the salt pork or fry jacks (fried dough) not cooked in lard.

However, times have rapidly changed. We no longer need to, nor should we rely on ancestral instincts about food to survive. I recognize that in many of our poorest neighborhoods, we're bombarded with fast food chains and subpar grocery markets. However, at some point we have to take a stand for something; why not for our health? As easily as we dip into our wallets to purchase supersized meals and deep fried chicken dinners, we should be able to opt for something healthier.

Black people let's take the necessary steps to improve our individual and collective health! More times than not, lets say NO to the garbage that contributes to unnecessary fat, lethargy, illness and early death!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, those stats are terrorizing. I need to lose weight, I've known this for a while and yesterday I read something that said "there are no really old overweight people" and that stopped me in my tracks. thanks for the 2 minute mindblower.

Abeni said...

Wow,didn't know those stats were so bad. But we just love our soul food and old habits die really hard

SimplEnigma said...

This goes way deeper than just black people's love for food. I think it has a lot to do with slavery and the diets black folk had to endure back then. The meats and food that they got were often the castoffs from the table so it was commonplace to fry it and salt it and do all kinds of things to preserve some kind of flavor.

Also, our cultural perception of beauty is different as well. I remember getting teased growing up because I was too skinny. Even in Africa, round, plump women are more desirable because it's a sign that you're eating well and you're prosperous.

Finally, the way we treat exercise also has a lot to do with it. I go to the gym 5 days a week. My gym is in a black neighborhood, and many of the black people there seem to exercise for aesthetic reasons: to get flat abs, to look shapely in their new jeans...few exercise to maintain a healthy heart. Even when they're exercising to lose weight, the reason is never to be healthier, usually some physical goal behind it.

Jdid said...

its all about balance. sometimes i got to go get me some curry goat or like sometime this week i will definetly be getting me a big plate of fried chicken with some rice n peas for lunch. however you dont make it an everyday thing and you try to excercise.

it was all good and well eating pork and fat every day for our ancestors they needed the carbs to burn off in the field. we live a much more sedentary life style so we dont need to eat that stuff.