Nov 30, 2004

Movement in Black


Who would have thought that a young black girl, born to poor immigrant parents, raised very Catholic in a single parent home could be touched so deeply and forever changed by the words of a Black Lesbian Feminist Poet?

I was introduced to Pat's work in my first Black feminism class sophomore year in undergrad. My professor gave us a reading packet that included one of Pat's acclaimed poems, One Thanksgiving Day. Though it wasn't technically Thanksgiving day at the time, from that day forward, poetry became a regular part of my life. Pat's work spoke volumes to the struggles Black women face as we negoiate the confines of race, gender and class oppression in our everyday lives, both publicly and privately. Her work added dimentions to the paradigm that many, especially the once very Catholic black girl tried to avoid because she didn't understand. Admittedly, the older I get, the less I seem to understand. So much for the wisdom with age theory. However, one thing remains very clear to me. Black women must acknowledge that we are comrades in the same struggle!!!

With that said...Pat once said...

Take the strength that you may wage a long battle.
Take the pride that you can never stand small.
Take the rage that you can never settle for less.

-M

5 comments:

Abeni said...

Yes the struggle as black young women is the same.No doubt about that

Jdid said...

but as you struggle dont struggle 'gainst the black man. you may sumtimes see us as not being on the same side but try to make us understand things and open our eyes to your way of thinking rather than butting heads with us cause is only together we can rise up.

bless!

summer of sam said...

what is it about the sophomore year of college that wakes us up?

nahmix said...

In solidarity Abeni.

I feel you Jdid, it is always great to have a man remind us that they too are allies!

Summer, I think that sophomore year is often the first year you get to take at least one non-required class. Oftentimes as black folks at white universities (in my case) we really go for the classes that will speak to us the most! That's how it was for me. I ended up graduating with 2 BAs in Gender & Feminist Studies and Black Studies. I wouldn't trade that in for anything!!

Anonymous said...

I think your theory about sophomore year is on-point, Maegen. And I also think that J is right to remind us that black men and black women are part of the same struggle. Now, go on a black man's blog and remind him and his readers. Because y'all are just as guilty of being hostile to us as we are of being hostile to y'all. We all need to check ourselves right about now.