Jan 21, 2005

If you thought hip hop was dead...


think again! Jean Grae and the rest of the "The No Turntables Tour" artists are on a mission to resuscitate the game!

Despite the idiocy of a hip hop show, or better yet...a hip hop tour without turntables, Jean Grae is still managing to tear up clubs with hot to death performances like the one she gave at the Abbey Pub on Wednesday night! (Shout out to Summer and Safire for another good time)

I was literally in disbelief! I had been hearing about her and listening to a couple of tracks, but I had no idea she was rockin' shows like that! You want to talk about a serious, serious, serious mc...Jean Grae hands down! I mean she has flow, lyrics, beats and stage presence all rolled into one! If you don't know, you betta ask somebody!

Check her out at: OKP

P.S. Chicago was the only city on this tour that bowed to hip hop grace and allowed for turntable use. Chi-town...STAND UP!

-M

9 comments:

summer of sam said...

i still can't believe how she kilt that ashanti beat...and yeah, i mean kilt.

nahmix said...

i still can't believe that was ashanti's beat! with ashanti's voice strip away, i had no idea it was that hot!

Jdid said...

cool if she ever reaches my side I'll go check her out. To be honest I liked the first album, havent heard the second but didnt particularly like the last one for some reason. I think she's probably the best female mc out there right now though

summer of sam said...

why the female qualifier, jdid? i can't think of anybody male or female in hip hop right now that can fuck with jean grae.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Summer. Jean is doing it out here. What I enjoyed most about the show was how engaging she was with the audience, how excited she was to be performing, how amped she was about her own music. Not to diss her, but at Lauryn's show, I felt lucky that she even graced the stage. Jean, on the other hand, came off like she was the lucky one, getting to come out and do her thing. I loved that. And the fact that she was the real deal on top of having all that enthusiasm... Icing on the cake.

Jdid said...

well summer I think there are male mcs out there who are better than her hence the qualifier. and I'm going on my judgement of the albums not having seen her in concert.

summer of sam said...

c'mon, jdid. if we were going on albums, all the "good" emcees would be considered wack--kweli, common, etc. and a couple of those jean grae eps are tight.

Ka said...

She's quite talented&high energy,watched her open for Common last year,just wish she didn't curse at the crowd soo much cos i was about ready to throw my shoe at her by the time she left the stage.

Anonymous said...

Saw that show at the Abbey....all the components of one of the greatest ever.....Bazarro....what's the deal, joe?
Rapture(City Mix Productions)
www.myspace.com/citymix