Feb 25, 2007

2007 Oscar Fashion: Uninspired

As I sit watching the Oscars, patiently awaiting the presentation of the final three of five categories that I actually care about (best actor/actress, best supporting actor/actress and best picture), I can't help but feel disappointed in this year's fashion.

I don't know what it is about award shows that forces otherwise good looking people, mega celebrities, make such terrible fashion choices. And it's so unbelievably comical and bit ironic to see because these are people who invest a great deal of time and money in their bodies and overall appearances.

Yes, I know that they are wearing designer couture, costing more than my annual salary; but this year, there were some strangely poor choices. In the pool of celebs I've chosen to display, there are more dresses that I hated and feel lukewarm about, than those that I actually liked. Where is Halle Berry when you need her? So without further ado:

The Faves:

Reese WitherspoonReese always looks so cute and sophisticated. Rarely am I disappointed with her fashion choices, though I didn't care for that sunburst yellow dress she wore to the Golden Globe Awards. This choice however, is a nice comeback. It's simple, elegant and mature.

Beyonce KnowlesThis is a great choice for Beyonce. I love it when she errs on the side of understated elegance instead of southern diva. I know y'all saw that gold mess she wore to the Golden Globe Awards.

Helen MirrenI wish i could have found a frontal shot of her dress. She looks stunning. This dress is the right color, the right fit, elegant and age-appropriate.

Portia de RossiI really like this dress on Portia. It's brash, kind of sassy, yet elegant. Only she can pull off this dress and it is a major step up from the creamsicle orange number she wore a few years back.

Jennifer LopezAlthough I wonder each year why she's there, I am impressed with her choice of dress this year. She looks like a 1950s diva with great flare.

On the fence:

Jennifer HudsonI am such a Jen fan from her days on American Idol. My fellow Chicagoan is bringing her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in Dreamgirls home. I am so happy and excited for her. As for the dress, I love the color and the fit, but I most certainly don't like that metallic jacket. It completely ruins the style and subtedly of that pocketed chocolate ensemble.

Gwen PaltrowI hate the color of this dress so much. It makes me ill. The design is less than appealing, but the color is just all wrong!

Jessica BielI like the design, but just not a fan of hot pink, magenta or fuschia for an evening gown.

Rinko KikuchiI love black dresses, especially those with such great detail and embroidery. Unfortunately, she didn't eat for 5 weeks before this event, so as your eyes move downward the dress is consuming her flesh!

Nicole Kidman She is too pale and this dress is overbearingly red. Not a good combination.

Penelope Cruz I want so desperately to like this dress and I almost do. It's just a shame that the lower half looks like matted shag carpeting.

Hate it:

Anne HathawayDid she learn nothing from The Devil Wears Prada? Apparently, not! The black bow on top of the white lace makes her look flat chested and her lower body pear-shaped. Again I ask, did she learn nothing from The Devil Wears Prada?

Naomi WattsIf it weren't for the black belt, I'd think she was a banana popsicle.

Cameron DiazIs she going to the Oscars or overdressed for a picnic? I don't get it?!?!

Kirsten DunstKirsten gets the most consistent award, consistently bad. This dress is so hideous, I can't say anything else.

Jodie FosterI don't know quite what to say about this dress. However, I can say that I wished Jodie would have just worn a suit.

5 comments:

Jdid said...

i figured either your blog or kami's would have some oscar fashions. wait a minute please tell me jennifer hudsons dress doesnt have pockets?

regarding colors, these folks have to realize that not everyone can pull off certain colors. leave the reds and pinks and yellows at home if your skin tone doesnt work with it.

SimplEnigma said...

I agree with most of your best pics except J.Hud's...I'm a huge fan of hers, but I thought her dress was atrocious, considering how great she's looked at other recent events. Even the dress she wore as she performed was much more suited to her than this garment-bag-with-a-jacket.

Jada Pinkett-Smith also made my best-dressed list and Kate Winslet.

I've never really understood the hoopla with Nicole Kidman, and while I like the dress, the color does make her look even paler and more sallow than normal.

nahmix said...

@jdid: you know i'm on it. yes jen's dress has pockets. it would have gone over better without the metallic jacket.

@se: i loved jen's dress. the chocolate worked on her and she picked yet another well-fitting dress. the jacket was the killer. once again jada looked like a rectangle. she needs to find a gowns that give her more defined curves. kidman is just ghostly.

Alison said...

I'm going to have to agree with you on every thing you said. I think Reese's dress was my all-time favorite. Loved it!!

Abeni said...

Sorry N but I didnt get the chance to look up the fashions.Agree with most but I liked Gwyneth's dress. JHud's jacket made the dress look stink. I liked Reese most of all.classy