Feb 19, 2007

In heavy rotation...

If you've been paying attention over the past few years of this blog life, you'll know that music (good music) is of the utmost importance to me. From the countless live shows I attend each year, to my steadily growing cd collection, to my computer-based warehouse of digital music, right on down to my newest venture: building a record collection of old school classics; good music is like a first-born. It's always extra special and set apart from the rest. It's for this reason, that I've decided to share, and more regularly, what I'm listening to at any given period.

Over the past few months, the sounds of the UK have flooded my airwaves. I've been so enamored by the sound and the quality of the UK scene that I half-heartedly consider a big move overseas, at least once every other day. I just want to be closer to it, and further away from the crap that is urban radio. I'm so tired of hot beats, playing under garbage ass lyrics. I mean, how much longer must we be forcefed the same shit about bitches, rims and bling? None of it's new or even remotely interesting. The succession of lil so and so's and young whomevers saying the same shit over a Kanye beat or a Kell's remix is tired already and disingenous. And by the way, why these Chicago nigs keep representing on this shit is beyond me. The lack of musical integrity is so overwhelming.

It's become so painfully obvious that with each new generation (and the gap is widening exponentially), comes an even more unintelligible population of young people who prefer beats over lyrics, quantity over quality and hype over actual depth. They're woefully lazy, unoriginal and rigid, allowing urban radio and mtv to determine the full scope of their musical palette. The mass of widely accepted mediocrity is suffocating.

There are just so many good artists out there, UK, underground and otherwise obscure that I'm feeling right now. I've selected three for now (not to worry, I'll be sharing more soon). Unfortunately, I can't go into detail about these selections at the moment because I'm at work, and theoretically, I should be working. But, I will say this: JUST TRUST ME. You want to be up on these artists.

Corinne Bailey Rae
Yes, I know you've been familiar with Corinne for a minute now. I know that Put Your Records On has been your jam and since her Oprah appearance, so has Like A Star, but I suspect that you've been sleeping on the album. By that I mean, not really listening to it with your most careful and critical ear. So, I am telling you right now listen to this album.


Amy Winehouse

This soulful diva is amazing. Her music is absolutely, the best thing I've heard in a minute. Her sound is so refreshing and grounded in soul and blues traditions. It's new, yet familiar all at the same time. My only regret is not discovering it sooner.


Lily Allen
This album is definitely not your average 21 year old music. She has a soft, yet mature sound. The album doesn't boast any complex melodies or lyrics, but it's honest and unassuming (even if her controversial remarks aren't), making for a fun musical experience.

6 comments:

Abeni said...

Love Corinne but yes I will really really listen:)

Anonymous said...

I fucks with Amy Winehouse so hard; you don't even know. "Fuck me Pumps" is my shit. I bump that joint - every day.

Anonymous said...

i am loathe to admit that i'm late to this party. i just downloaded corinne before i left on this trip and STILL haven't had a chance to check her out. The other two sound intriguing as well, lily allen's cover reminds me of back in the day kelis album covers, no?

Jdid said...

nice post. i was just telling someone the other day that the UK is definetly in the house.

I love me some amy winehouse and corinne. bought lily the other day but havent listened to it yet

i so feel you on the current north american hip hop and rn. i dont even know whats supposedly hot anymore. i've just been pumping joe buddens mood muzic part 2 and tonnes of old reggae. i give up on the lil and young uns its terrible

Jdid said...

you didnt warn me about lily allen's lnd with the old calypso horns. wicked!

nahmix said...

@jdid: the shit's outta control good. glad you are enjoying!