Sep 20, 2004

I'm in love with a woman!!

Yeah you heard me right....I'm in love with a woman named Lauryn Hill! Last night I had one of the best times I have ever had in life. Ok well maybe not in life, but definitely in a very very long time. It was one of the best concerts I have ever attended and Lord knows these days I go to ALOT of shows.

Initially, I was quite concerned about the show and these were some legitimate concerns too. I was a tad bit worried that this was gonna be a Lauryn Hill in the midst of crisis & salvation a la Unplugged 2002.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved her unplugged appearance. I have a sincere understanding and a profound respect for growth and going through some shit that manifests in a way that people can't understand and often deem one crazy for. So needless to say, I didn't have the same adverse reaction to the tears that streamed down her face as she strummed those same three chords through every song a couple of years ago. I was quite understanding of her spiritual explorations.

However, a big part of me still longed for the L Boogie I saw back in 1998, tearing across LA's Universal Ampitheatre stage in stillettos, flowing locs, a booming voice and the most incredible presence hip hop has ever known. I respect the new Lauryn, but I definitely hoped for some of that old school L-Boogie/FugeeLA rocker to come out! Damn was I ever surpised, happy and just plain overjoyed!!

She opened with...
It could all be so simple, but you rather make it hardloving you is like a battle and we both end up with scars.

Thats right yall....Ex Factor like a mug. I couldn't even believe it. I was near tears as she sang this song. Aside from the fact there is something about pain that deeply resonates with me, her voice was on point. Her sound was impeccable! She was captivating, commanding, charismatic and charming. How does one accomplish such depth in their presence?


But guess what?... L-Boogs didn't stop there! She let loose on some Water, Zion, Everything is Everything, Doo Wop That Thing, Peace of Mind, a few new joints and just for the crowd...Lost Ones!!! She wanted to wild out on Lost Ones so badly....she jumped up and felt that music and them lyrics to point that she couldn't help but move to it!! But she caught herself though, wouldn't allow herself to get to caught up into that mix. She was looking to be mature about her delivery, wasn' no half-baked presentation going on last night.

Aside from the fact that her performance was dope as hell, the best part of the show was 15-20 minutes she took to talk to the crowd and I don't mean on some preaching sopabox mess, but on some actual dialogue. She was literally taking questions and engaging us. I mean at one point a fan was like how are the kids doing? Much to my surprise, she announced having had four children...Zion-7, Selah-5, Joshua-2 and John-1. So this sistah has been busy to say the least!

She talked to us like we were old friends. And indeed we are old friends and old lovers coming back to what feels so familiar and good, yet is so different. But even in that difference, the love is still easily resurrected because its more that just about the music, but also about the person behind it. Lauryn has been successful in connecting with her fans on levels most artist will never achieve and most don't even aspire to.

My friend, Michelle described her presence best...REGAL!!! There's just no other way to say it! All I know is that I LUVS this woman! I can't wait for the next album to drop! I hope that her spiritual journeys continue to expand her mind and fuel her creative drive!

And just because I can...But you'd rather make it hard

Loving you is like a battle

And we both end up with scars

Tell me, who I have to be

To get some reciprocity

No one loves you more than me

And no one ever will

Is this just a silly game

That forces you to act this way

Forces you to scream my name

Then pretend that you can't stay

Tell me, who I have to be

To get some reciprocity

No one loves you more than me

And no one ever will

No matter how I think we grow

You always seem to let me know

It ain't workin'

It ain't workin'

And when I try to walk away

You'd hurt yourself to make me stay

This is crazy

This is crazy

I keep letting you back in

How can I explain myself

As painful as this thing has been

I just can't be with no one else

See I know what we got to do

You let go and I'll let go too

'Cause no one's hurt me more than you

And no one ever will

Care for me, care for me

I know you care for me

There for me, there for me

Said you'd be there for me

Cry for me, cry for me

You said you'd die for me

Give to me, give to me

Why won't you live for me

-M

P.S. And just for the record...I mean I am love with a woman figuratively!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for a minute i was ...