Jun 16, 2005

Neo-Soul Gone Bad: Jaguar Wrong...


So, being the "neo-soul" nut that I am, I try to keep up with the latest of most of the artists in the genre. Among those is okp artist, Jaguar Wright. She's had one album so far, "Denials, Delusions and Decisions," but is better known for her vocals on Jay-Z's Unplugged album. She was the sista singing back up, who broke it down something fierce on "Heart of the City" (my favorite Jay song) and "Song Cry."

If you're not familiar with Jag's catalog, you'd think from hearing her on Unplugged, that her first album must be hot shit, but it's not. She had a couple of good tracks, but nothing to run out and spend your $10 on. Don't get me wrong, I like me some Jag; but I think she could truly benefit from a strong writing team and better production.

As a slightly more underground artist, she has a bit too much control of her music. Case in point, her sophomore album due out on June 28th:
Someone please tell me why she was allowed to title this album, DIVORCING NEO 2 MARRY SOUL?

Not only is that not an album title, it's DUMB! I get what she's trying to get at it, but give me a break already! It's still plain DUMB! Did she not learn anything from "Denials, Delusions and Decisions," which by the way, is also NOT an album title? I hate when folks start getting big-headed. I feel like she needs a dose of "your first album was mediocre at best!"

I mean seriously, do artists (minus that nigga 'Ye, of course) not recognize their own wackness? Shame on the record label for this one. She tried to do too much with the first album, and it came up WAY short. For her sake, I hope this one is solid!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

With that title, and her track record, I dought very seriously that ol' girl made a come-up on this album. It's too bad, too. 'Cause I love to see a thick, brown-skinned girl get on in the entertainment world.

Jdid said...

i bought that first album and was way dissapointed, she's not getting my money again

chrome said...

I saw the album title and thought what is she smoking? on the real jag is mediocre at best. dont know how she freaked that jayz gig which is why I checked her in the first place. lady's more on the "...,Delusions,..." side of things

Bernard Bradshaw said...

I agree that her second album title is whack. However, I've seen the sister live here in Chicago, and she really is all that. Recording doesn't seem to capture her power.

I don't care how bad her second album is--she cashed the check when she sang "Self-love, Self-preservation" on the first album. What a superpowerful, superdope song. She can never go wrong just because of that one song.

Bernard Bradshaw
Sex and the Second City.com

mo said...

I really enjoyed your reviews, I do nto agree with them but you are certainly entitled to your point of view.

Jag is really cool, to truly get the full effect you have to see her live, fo real!!!

I will definitely visit your Blog again to see what other surprises you have planned.

Thanks for fighting the good fight!!! It's hard to get the really positive music noticed by the masses. I look forward to corresponding with you in the future...